Tuesday 3 July 2012

Bitch! Dyke! Faghag! Whore!

I had one of the best nights ever at the weekend. I went to see B!D!F!W! at the Arcola Tent, with my friend F.

It was an incredible piece of theatre - I can tell you that as a professional-in-training for the industry. And it was a very affirming night for me as a bisexual. There was go-go dancing to begin with, by some very talented and very gay dancers (m&f), then Penny Arcade bounced onstage and brought with her a huge and wonderful personality and stage presence.

She did stand up, sketches, monologues, invited the audience to dance, strolled around the audience in the dark. It was hilarious, fun, camp, and sometimes very emotionally stirring. She covered difficult topics with either pizazz, comedy, or hard hitting seriousness, and the mix still made a cohesive whole.

It was very much a show for a queer audience, though of course F was not the only straight person in the room, and she really enjoyed it too. But her experience, I suspect, was a lot less deeply moving than mine. I felt like I connected with Penny and the show; I could taste the sense of community, and belonging. I felt so good about myself, and my sexuality, and also a really strong compulsion to uphold the history that queers have. I was downright disappointed in myself when Penny was exclaiming that the younger generations of LGBT are unaware of their history, and trying too hard to fit into the straight world, rather than shaping the straight world to fit us.

I recommend it in entirety. I shall follow Penny with interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment